Monday, December 31, 2012

Times They Are A Changing

Pervasive Parenting
By Kodey Toney

Times They Are A Changing

By the time this comes out Christmas will be but a memory. However, I think I'm just going to keep it short and explain a few things that have changed over the years with Konner and Christmas.
I remember back to the Christmas following his diagnosis (I've told this before, but feel it's important to include). We went to my parent's house and there were many people present. The noise of everyone talking and playing mixed with the smells of the many food dishes and the bustling of people running around proved to be too much for Konner to handle. He came up to Jen and I and said. "I want to go home. I'm ready to go." I didn't leave as soon as I should have and he went into a meltdown. That was a real learning experience.
In recent years things are different. Konner handles things much better. Now I've seen arguments lately in publications, from speakers, and online saying that therapies can be a waste of time for children on the spectrum. I disagree. The difference in Konner, and his tolerance of things that used to over-stimulate him is proof enough for me to continue. We don't worry about going anywhere with him for the holidays, and the family knows we could leave at any time.
Konner did show signs of "normalcy" this year (not that he doesn't all the time). We woke up a couple days before Christmas and the boys had opened some presents. Konner usually leaves his alone, but for some reason (though I think Kruz had a lot to do with it) they had most of his gifts unwrapped. I was a little upset at first, but after thinking about it I realized it was kind of a good thing. I know this doesn't sound unusual to some, but then...that's the point.
I'm blessed to have my children. They have been the best presents I've ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment