Monday, December 29, 2014

All I Want For Christmas

Pervasive Parenting 
By Kodey Toney

All I Want For Christmas 

This week Jen was wrapping presents and realized that we had a few more gifts for Kruz than for Konner. We began to talk about an extra present for Konner, but he's so hard to buy for. He doesn't tell us much about what he wants. If he does it's pretty vague. He may say a new train, or Minecraft stuff. So what do you get?
First of all let me say that I know how fortunate that we are that he can tell us that much. I can't imagine how tough it is to buy for a child who is non-verbal. I don't speak of things I don't know about, so I won't go into this, but I will say it is still tough to determine a good present for a child on the spectrum. 
Do you look for something that can help them with their therapies and ongoing issues? It seems that a new weighted vest, or device to help with motor skills might be more like work than recreation. With the high number of therapies throughout the year wouldn't it be better to give them something fun?
Then how do you know what they want? I know Konner likes trains, but he seems to have every one of them known to man. I can let him pick them out, which we usually do, but that defeats the surprise factor. 
I heard recently that some parents get four things: something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read. This is a great idea, but let's break this down (I am watching football while I'm writing this by the way). Something they need is probably easy, and can fall into the something to wear. However you should probably not get them confused. The need might be a new weighted blanket...if you want to go there. Don't forget that the thing to read can be for you to read to them. If your child can't read that doesn't mean they don't need for you to read to them. Something to wear is good, but what kid likes socks and underwear? 
So that brings us back to the want. Regardless of need, reading ability, verbal ability, clothing taste, or any other variable there is one thing all children want regardless of disability...love. Sounds cheesy I know, but as long as you are trying to understand what they want, you are buying things with their interest in mind, and you love them your going to make it a good Christmas. 
Merry Christmas from Konner, Kruz, Jennifer, and Kodey Toney. 

No comments:

Post a Comment