Saturday, February 21, 2015

Let's Work Together

Pervasive Parenting 
By Kodey Toney

Let's Work Together 

I remember it was either 1998 or '99 and I was a young journalist with the Poteau Daily News. I have always been a bit of a trivia junkie, so when they asked if I wanted to be on a team for the Special Olympics' Trivia Night I jumped at the chance. This was the first year for the event, the theme was Hawaiian, and we won. It was one fun night, and I will probably remember it for the rest of my life. 
I participated in a couple more, and each year was just as fun. I wasn't really thinking back then about how I was helping raise funds to help kids with disabilities. 
Fast forward about 15 years...
When the Pervasive Parenting Center board members were looking for a fund raiser last summer someone brought up the Trivia Night. Two of the board members had been involved in the past and knew that the Special Olympics had abandoned the event recently. We contacted Special Olympics and asked if they would mind is taking over. It was agreed and we decided on March 7th as a date. We made arrangements to hold the event at the Community State Bank, who have been gracious in helping us out.
It came as a surprise when we started advertising that the Special Olympics group in Poteau have a bingo night scheduled that night. It was never intentional to schedule these two together. We would never do anything to take away from the Special Olympics. We both are working for the same purpose, to help people with disabilities.
This is why I'm asking everyone to help out. I know that trivia is not for everyone, just like I know that bingo is not for everyone. I would ask you to pick one you like though and attend that night. It's not as much about the organization as it is the overall purpose, to help others. 
Special Olympics will be holding their event at the Bob Lee Kidd Civic Center beginning at 5:30 p.m. It will be a carnival style bingo. The funds will go to help with experiences for the athletes to attend several events throughout the year. For more information on this event you can contact Tanna Weaver at (918) 647-9231
The Trivia night will be held at the Community State Bank in Poteau. The registration will begin at 6 p.m., and the game begins at 7 p.m. Teams of 6-10 members will cost $100 to enter. There will be a Zombie Apocalypse theme, and teams will not only be competing for a trivia trophy, but also best dressed. There will be a prize for best dressed individual as well. 
The funds raised will be used to help families in eastern Oklahoma including LeFlore, Sequoyah, and Haskell Counties. 
If you are interested in entering a team you can get a registration form at the Poteau Daily News or Clip Joint in Poteau, or Carl Albert State College in Sallisaw. You can contact me at ktoney@pervasiveparentingcenter.orgor (918) 658-5076.
Either direction you go I hope you will decide to help out one of these great programs. I feel like we are working for the same purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment