Friday, May 6, 2016

Who Did You Think I Was

Pervasive Parenting 
By Kodey Toney 

Who Did You Think I Was

Konner, like many on the spectrum, loves his electronics. He plays Roblox on his laptop or the desk computer, he plays Minecraft on the computer or iPad, and he watches and makes videos on the iPad. This is not unusual I know. Most parents I have talked to tell me that their kids are a wiz on the electronics. 
I've even talked in the past about how he will get around the parental guides must of the time because he's so smart. I've also talked about how Temple Grandin always says to get them off of the electronics and doing things with their hands, which is easier said than done, but we do try. 
However, Konner has started something new lately, and I have to be honest with you it drives me nuts. He is very impatient, as I'm sure I have mentioned before, especially when it comes to the electronics. His brain works faster than the processor sometimes I guess, or at least that's what I tell myself. When things don't go fast enough he gets upset, and has been known to break iPad screens, enumerable computer mice, computer screens, and a couple keyboards. 
Now we have rules that when he gets frustrated he has to take breaks, and if he actually hits an electronic then he is grounded for the rest of the day from all electronics. 
So, Konner has learned this and tries to keep his anger hidden. He gets angry and mumbles under his breath, but it is not well hidden. If I'm in the next room I can hear him and will call his name. When he hears this he has started asking, "How did you know? How did you hear me?" 
This drives me crazy. I have explained to him that I have ears and can hear things. He's just trying to manipulate me, but he acts as if it is amazing that I would hear him basically yell at his computer under his breath. 
He's gone so far as to lightly hit the computer, and when I actually see him do it he asks me how I knew. 
The funny part about this is that he doesn't lie about it. He will tell you if you ask, but rarely does he lie anyway.
I'm happy that he is at least trying to calm himself...well at least most of the time he does. 
Hopefully this is just another phase that he is going through, and he will be over it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment