Thursday, March 2, 2017

An Empty Glass

Pervasive Parenting
By Kodey Toney
An Empty Glass
I've talked in the past about people on the spectrum being literal. I wanted to share something this week that happened to explain this a little further.
I was upset with the boys because they were wasting our disposable plastic cups. It seemed like everywhere I looked they were sitting around, and they would just get a new one every time I turned around.
I got onto Kruz first because he is the worst offender. I put his name on the cup with a Sharpie, and told him that if I saw him with a different one I was going to punish him.
I then got Konner one and put his name on it. As I did I said, "If I see you with a different cup..." I left the sentence open.
Konner looked at me and said, "What are you going to do about it?"
I was filled with mixed emotions. I was mad because he had mouthed me, but I was surprised because he doesn't typically talk like that. Even Kruz from the other room said, "That's your father. You don't talk to your father like that!"
I started to really lay into him when I caught myself and realized that he really didn't mean it the way most would. He really just wanted to know what was going to happen if he did.
Those are the misunderstandings that can cause problems for people that don't really understand autism. I mean, I didn't even pick up on it at first.
We have to stop sometimes and never assume anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment